Wednesday, September 26, 2012

RLS is Ridiculous!

I've had bouts of RLS (restless leg syndrome) off and on for the last ten years but nothing like I experience while pregnant.  OMG! Shoot me!  I went to my OB.  I went to my Perinatal doctor.  I went to an Urgent Care clinic and quickly each time the door to the conversation of my needing help for RLS was slammed shut.  I started posting on facebook and researching like mad on google and various medical pages.  The best response I found was that I could be lacking iron and/or I'm anemic.  I had already tried heatpad, socks, pants, calf lifts, stretches, massages from my husband, warm baths for my legs only,  a herbal supplement, magnesium (500mg/day), expensive compression hose.  Nothing was giving me relief and I was feeling like the RLS was so severe that I was going to lose my mind.



So, I had my Perinatal doctor check my iron level but in the meantime I started iron supplements.  It drastically reduced by about 90-95%.  That is huge!  I started with 2 iron pills (65mg each) plus then at night taking my RX prenatal vitamin that gave me about another 30 mg of iron.  My levels came back low but increasing, slight case of anemia.  Sure, I had been anemic before but why am I having to find the cause and treat myself when I have all these doctors.  Especially since I had the Duodenal Switch (DS) weight loss surgery three years ago?  That surgery was all about creating a absorption.  Ahhh! I wanted to just scream at my OB the most. 

Now, I am not anemic and I take 3 iron pills per day with calcium and at night my RX prenatal vitamin that I have been taking since my DS weight loss surgery.  I still have bouts of the RLS but in no way is it nearly as severe as it was a few months ago.  So, those of you seeking help for your insane RLS- check your iron and possibly increase it!  I would shout it from the rooftops if I could.  All I wanted was some help and it seemed impossible for it.  I would take Tylenol PM sometimes to get super tired but I still would have trouble sleeping because my legs would kick and jolt in my sleep.  Sometimes my leg muscles were so sore and exhausted the next day.  That's how bad it was.  Restless Leg Syndrome can get worse with pregnancy and I had no idea.  None.  Ahh. So glad to have my sanity back! Lack of sleep and uncontrollable leg movements are a terrible combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please kindly comment here :)